ST. BARTHOLOMEW’S CHURCH
After completing a record of St. Christopher's Church (see below), a second Church Recording group was set up in 2011 to produce a record of the contents and furnishings of St. Bartholomew's Church, Haslemere. The new group, lead by the late Brian Dickinson, a member of the first HDFAS Church Recording group, and Jane Stopford-Russell, who is also West Surrey Area Co-Ordinator for Young Arts, originally met at the church for an inaugural meeting on 30th November, 2011.
Inaugural meeting, 30th November, 2011.
Work is nearing completion and it is hoped the record will be finalised in 2017. Most of the research has been done and the record is in the process of being compiled. The group used to meet on the second and third Thursdays of the month. Nine members brought their experience from working on St. Christopher's record, most of them taking on the same sections they worked on before. The group totals 20 in all and has received £200 sponsorship from the Friends of the Parish.
St. Bartholomew's has many interesting features, with a challenging number of windows and an impressive 10 bells. There are 24 memorials (one of which, the diamond jubilee plaque, has been installed since the project got underway), some exquisitely worked textiles and a wealth of woodwork and stonework. There are seven peal boards, recording bell-ringing feats, in the bell-tower (the earliest entered took place in 1901); these are not normally on public display as only the bell ringers have access to that area. Although the church was rebuilt, in 1870-1871, records go back a long way, the earliest of which date from around 1180 A.D. when the original building was known as Piperham Chapel, named after the family Piperham who owned the land and lived nearby.
Details about all items have been checked as they are entered into the record. Some needed double checking, as was the case with one of the stained glass windows dedicated to Gerard Manley Hopkins. It transpires that the date of birth painted on the window is incorrect by one year, making him a little older than he actually was.
Recorders at work July 2012
Woodwork, window and textile details
Church recording is not all work. During the break in August 2012, Jane Stopford-Russell hosted a Summer lunch party in her garden, assisted by Drummond.
► CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS.
The organ at St Bartholomew’s was restored in April 2013 and recorders took advantage of access to the area behind the organ to study a window that it is not normally possible to see. The window features Saints Cecilia, Elizabeth and Agnes. Below is a general view of the window, plus two close-ups of St. Cecilia (on the left) and Saint Elizabeth.
ST. CHRISTOPHER’S CHURCH
In January 2009, HDFAS set up their first church recording group to record the contents of St. Christopher's Church, Haslemere. A team of 14 members, lead by Frankie Gaiter and Jan Wickens, researched and compiled the record over a two year period. It was completed on 10th May 2011 and was displayed at the 28th June lecture in Haslemere Hall.
Copies of the record have been sent for archiving to the National Monuments Record Centre, the Church Buildings Council, the Surrey History Centre in Woking and a digital version has been sent to the Art Library at the V & A. At a special service held in St. Christopher's on 18th September 2011, a bound copy was presented to the new Rector, the Reverend Mary Bowden. Finally the Haslemere Educational Museum was presented with a bound copy on 27th October 2011.
To read about two years in the life of a church recorder and for more information about the Record of St. Christopher's Church, CLICK HERE
The many faces of St. Christopher in the record
To read Jan Wickens' report to the AGM on 16th November 2010, CLICK HERE
CONTACT US TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT CHURCH RECORDING: firstname.lastname@example.org